To kick start any business, or to reinvigorate a brand or product a basic press office will cover all necessary communication routes.
To you and me that means how to communicate your business to your preferred media. i.e local or national media, websites or bloggers. A simple and effective press office will enable you to communicate with target press, which in turn will generate news articles. So how do you set this up? What do I need do?
Here are a few helpers to get you started:
Press Releases (simply a document explaining the best bits of your business)
- Press releases are used to communicate your brands key messages and product information to media.
Tip: To make it interesting and ‘newsworthy’ remember to highlight your unique selling points and include imagery.
Press Materials (the bits that journalists might need)
- Press materials are additional materials used to accompany the product. These include images / logos / biographies / key messages.
Tip: Imagery will need to be high resolution (300 dpi) in order for media to use them.
Media Liaison (talking to your preferred media)
- Regular targeted media liaison, whether speaking to national or local media, is paramount when promoting your business. It not only presents opportunities for the products you are looking to promote but is also key for building and maintaining relationships.
Tip: Before talking to media do make sure you do your research. Pick up a paper or magazine and look for places where your think your business/news would fit best and call the journalist that looks after this page.
Digital (covers website, social media – facebook and twitter, pinterest, instagram etc)
- Digital platforms are incorporated within most if not all business strategies. Whether updating a website / Facebook / twitter accounts, information presented needs to be up-to-date, relevant, interesting and appeal to your target audience.
Tip: Although the digital world is quite daunting, it is worth spending some time getting to know the various portals and even the simplest of digital strategies can help raise awareness for your business.
- Look to the media for trends / news items suitable for your brand. Ie. If there is a royal wedding, take advantage and find a connection for your business.
- Take a look at what other similar businesses are doing in your area.
- Be creative – think of new ways and angles to talk about your business.
Founder and Director of Instinct PR, Jonathan Kirkby comments:
“No matter how big or small your business is, a press office is a good central place to maintain a positive image of your brand. We create press offices for large and small business, however if you get these basic tips in place you can create you own press office for a fraction of the cost. Just remember, this is an on going commitment and the more you put in, the more you get out”.