Iain Wright MP
Frank Field MP
New entrants to this year’s Top 100, Iain Wright and Frank Field have gained a joint spot thanks to their work on bringing failings at BHS and Sports Direct firmly into the spotlight this summer.
Field made no secrets of his feelings towards Sir Philip Green (number 18) and his role in the demise of BHS, calling him an “asset stripper”, as well as continuing to raise the issues of the gaping pension deficit, which he asserts is Green’s duty to put right.
Wright, meanwhile, took the lead on the Sports Direct inquiry and said he will continue to hold chief executive Mike Ashley (number 14) to account for working practices at his sports empire.
As prime minister Theresa May has promised to crack down on irresponsible behaviour by businesses and give greater power to workers, we may hear more from this formidable duo in 2017.
- MPs demand explanation for ‘amateur’ Shirebrook recording attempt
- Regulator moves on BHS pension deficit
- BHS failings spark government inquiry
- ‘Sir Philip Green is an asset stripper’, says Frank Field MP
- Sports Direct blasted over ‘Victorian’ working practices