10 top tips to set up a website by the Federation of Small Businesses
Unless your business is based solely online, which will keep overheads low, a simple, well-designed website will be all you need to kick your business off online. Here are 10 top tips to help make it a success!
- Only include important information on your website that you want your customers to know and do not repeat yourself – visitors only spend a few minutes at most on a website so be clear, concise and straight to the point!
- Change content on your website regularly so that visitors have a sense of a vibrant, growing business. Remove any old information and keep contact details up-to-date.
- Know your audience and who you want to reach. This should be the driving factor in the information you show on your website.
- Make your website easy to navigate and accessible. A well-structured website needs good links that allow the visitor to navigate to other sections of it. Make sure your website is interactive!
- Every website should have simple information, including: a homepage, about the business, products and buying, contact information and a search function. Link between these pages to encourage visitors to stay on your website.
- Offer an email newsletter. Ask visitors to your site for email addresses and send a weekly or monthly newsletter to tell them what is new in your business and use it to direct them to the website.
- Don’t forget to promote your website! If no one knows your website exists, you won’t generate any business. Simply adding your web address on promotional literature or setting up a Twitter or Facebook account will encourage people to visit.
- Don’t try to be too clever. It is great including videos and podcasts but only if you provide information that visitors want to know and update them regularly.
- Keep it simple! Rich content and simple design will attract more visitors than fancy graphics that slow internet connections down.
For more information about the Federation of Small Businesses go to www.fsb.org.uk/