Blogging has increased rapidly and there are millions upon millions of blogs. Blogs can be a fantastic way of communicating with customers and potential customers, or even with the business world if you use it to impart advice, tips and business knowledge.
But to really interest people in your blog, you need to target people who you want to read your blog and really think about its contents. Here are five top tips to help get you started.
- Plan and manage your blog by organising it into categories, being flexible with structures and updating content frequently.
- Boost your search engine rankings by inserting keywords into your headings and text so that search engines can pick them up. For example, if you are writing about textile patterns, you need to ensure that the words ‘textile’ and patterns’ appear frequently, and any links should point towards sites with similar content.
- Learn from feedback. Readers will comment on your blog so take time to regularly check what people are saying about your business – there is bound to be some good ideas for improvements or new products in there!
- Be careful as blogging does have its pitfalls. But these can be easily avoided if you don’t insult customers, libel or slander, portray personal views as the company’s, misrepresent the company or reveal confidential information. Any of these could enrage customers but also be embarrassing for the company and land you court.
- Avoid making your blog a sales pitch. A good blog can be a key part to the overall sales success of your business, but never use it as an overt sales pitch. Make sure you deliver fresh, engaging content about issues that interest your sites visitors, don’t lif copy from press releases and brochures.
For more information about the Federation of Small Businesses go to www.fsb.org.uk/