Christian Dior has formally severed ties with its head designer John Galliano.
The French fashion house has confirmed it has initiated termination proceedings and issued the following statement:
Paris – March 1, 2011
Following the allegations of anti-Semitic statements that resulted in John Galliano being questioned by police on Thursday, February 24, Christian Dior immediately suspended its relationship with its designer, pending the outcome of the police investigation.
Today, in light of the deeply offensive statements and conduct by John Galliano in a video made public yesterday, Christian Dior has commenced termination proceedings against him.
Sidney Toledano, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Christian Dior Couture, said: “I unequivocally condemn the statements made by John Galliano which are in total contradiction to the longstanding core values of Christian Dior”.
Galliano was suspended from his role last week after being arrested for allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks. Galliano initially said he would counter-sue the couple who made the allegations for defamation, but came under renewed pressure this week after a shocking video emerged, purporting to show Galliano in a racist rant.
Bookmakers are already taking bets on who will replace the Gibraltar-born designer at Christian Dior. Paddy Power said Yves Saint Laurent’s Stefano Pilati was the 11/8 favourite, followed by former YSL designer and photographer Hedi Slimane at 9/4 and creative director of Dior Homme Kris Van Assche at 4/1.
How will the loss of Galliano’s creative talent affect the Christian Dior business? Have your say below.