MD, Frances Card Consultancy
Frances Card is a fashion business expert who is MD of the highly successful FCC - Frances Card Consultancy. Frances has an extensive knowledge of the Fashion Industry spanning over two and a half decades. Frances began her career training as a buyer for Dickens and Jones in Regent Street and then moved to the States where she joined a US based luxury label independent. Returning to the UK Frances again worked with retailer House of Fraser before channelling her buying and retailing skills into the wholesale market working as Sales Director across several labels.
Frances was approached by the Bentalls Group and joined as Fashion Controller before moving onto Liberty of London and as International Brand Director in 2001 Frances re-launched the Liberty of London brand internationally.
Returning to Wholesale Frances concentrated on developing Scandinavian brands in the UK and Ireland before opening her own consultancy in 2006.
Among many high profile clients Frances has recently worked with the Bauer Media Group creating, launching and building the brand portfolio for the luxury brand ecommerce site Cocosa. Other on-line project’s include working with www.blossommotherandchild.com to step up their brand ecommerce offering.
The Frances Card Consultancy is currently working with clients who are both looking for growth and/or recession proofing their businesses. For further information please email Frances on email@example.com.
Email Frances Card with your questions about the forthcoming 2010 buying season at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions answered by Frances Card
- Why the need for minimum buys? How outdated a concept is this in the face of the current downturn?
- What proportion (%) of my buying budget should I be hanging onto for in-season trend-reactive purchases?
- I want to begin buying into phased collections. How would you advise me to stagger my seasonal buying budget between the four main delivery phases?
- How do we negotiate better discounts from suppliers and how would you advise me to begin negotiations?
- When is the recession going to end and will my suit sales ever go back to what they were?
- I am going to realise my childhood dream of owning a beautiful ladies wear boutique in readiness for AW10 - how many labels should I aim for ?
- Where and when is the best place to shop for inspiration for SS10 Jersey and Prints??
- I am a one man band and previously hold my photoshoots all before the season starts
- I am in the process of setting up an online website focusing on selling designer menswear. I am finding it quite difficult to find contacts of suppliers. Where would I find these?
- Do you predict that brands will begin offering better margins than the widely accepted 2.5 points?
- I am coming to the end of fixed contract period with a UK based brand, which I joined after working as the Merchandise Director of a well known American brand