Your browser is no longer supported. For the best experience of this website, please upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Drapers Digital Forum: M&S 'making good progress' in digital journey, says digital director

The director of digital at Marks & Spencer David Walmsley has said the retailer is making “good progress” on its digital journey but there is still a “ton” of work to do.

Speaking at Drapers Digital Forum today in east London, Walmsley said the high street chain has made a “good start” in its transformation into a digital business after a “challenging” period following the website relaunch in February 2014.

“We had a challenging 2014 when we moved from the Amazon platform to our own. We are moving towards having a well-oiled machine,” said Walmsley.

“We had a really good 2015, and a large part of that was building the team and our experience with the platform. When we relaunched, we were still learning how to use the technology but now we are starting to motor and we are seeing the proof of that today. The move towards mobile and personalisation has come from that investment.”

Walmsley said speed was the most important thing in developing the M&S digital experience.

“As retailers we have to make it faster – it can never be slower for the customer. Our shoppers are telling us they want us to save them time and not to waste their time.”

He added that getting the firm into a “mobile mindset” and personalising the offer for shoppers were also “fundamental” to the future of the business.

Readers' comments (2)

  • What has DW been doing for 2 years? 3% is more likely going to be their market share by the time he gets the other 97% completed.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • What happened to the 3% he quoted? Or was this wrongly reported?

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.