US brand J Crew opened its much anticipated first store this week. Here we give you a round up of what you need to know.
* J Crew debuted in 1983 with the mailing of its first catalogue, and in 1989 the first flagship store opened at New York’s South Street Seaport
* Celebrity fans include Sarah Jessica Parker and America’s First Lady, Michelle Obama with her daughters even wearing the line to their father’s inauguration.
* Millard “Mickey” Drexler is chairman and chief executive, joining J Crew in 2003.
* Several extensions of the brand including crewcuts (for kids sizes 2-14), J Crew weddings and parties and J Crew Collection (featuring exclusive and limited-edition pieces)
* J Crew has more than 300 stores in the US.
* It first went global in 2011, with the opening of a store in Toronto, Canada, swiftly followed by stores in Vancouver and Edmonton. Its ecommerce site is available in more than 100 countries.
* The menswear store, at London’s 38 Lamb’s Conduit Street, is to be followed by a full range store on Regent’s Street and a womenswear boutique in 175 Draycott’s Avenue next month.
* J Crew prices range from around £80 for a lightweight v-neck women’s sweater to £398 for a pair of Harris Tweed capri trousers.