John Lewis’s Christmas ad has been crowned the top festive advert of 2018, as the retailer’s seasonal, Elton John-inspired offer secured almost 12 million views on Youtube.
This is the second year that John Lewis’s advert has been the most viewed on the social media platform, and it has been viewed by 11.7 million people.
In addition to viewing figures, YouTube takes into account factors such as the number of paid and organic views, watch time and audience retention when calculating which retailer’s advert comes out on top.
This year John Lewis’ advert far outstripped the competition. The second place ad – Sainsbury’s “The Big Night”, which features a school performance – only secured 4.5m views.
Other fashion retailers breaking into the top 10 were Very.co.uk, at number five with its “Find the gift that helps them find their gift” ad, which was viewed 3.6 million times.
Marks & Spencer’s advert with Holly Willoughby came in at number eight, viewed 1.3 million times. Last year the retailer’s advert with Paddington the Bear was the second most watched of the festive season. The rest of the top 10 was dominated by supermarkets – see the full list, and watch the John Lewis advert below:
YouTube’s top 10 Christmas adverts 2018
- John Lewis & Partners – #EltonJohnLewis; 11.7 million views
- Sainsbury’s – The Big Night; 4.5 million views
- Argos – The Christmas Fool; 3.7 million views
- Iceland – Say Hello to Rang; 5.6 million views
- Very.co.uk – Find the gift that helps them find their gift; 3.6 million views
- Cadbury – Secret Santa; 3.7 million views
- Aldi – Kevin the Carrot; 3 million views
- M&S – Christmas Must-haves; 1.3 million views
- Apple – Share your gifts; 1.1 million views
- Amazon – Can you feel it; 1.1 million views