John Lewis has revealed the details for its new concierge-style shopping service, which is launching at its Oxford store in the new Westgate shopping centre
One-fifth of the floor space at the new branch, which opens on 24 October, is dedicated to experiences and 21 different services. These include a free personal styling service for men, free technology training workshops to help customers get the most out of their purchases and learn about the latest technology, and the first express nail and brow bar in a John Lewis store.
An “experience desk” at the centre of the three-floor, 120,000 sq ft, store will be managed by John Lewis’s first brand experience manager.
The concierge-style service will tell shoppers about the store and can book them into one of the services or reserve a table at the Scandinavian rooftop restaurant KuPP.
The 322 employees at the store have been given “theatre training” by The Oxford Playhouse and will be trialling a new uniform consisting of John Lewis’s own brand range Kin.
Paula Nickolds, managing director at John Lewis said: “As part of our plans to differentiate the John Lewis brand and to reinvent the department store for the 21st century, our shops continue to be a place where customers come and experience our brand – the physical manifestation of what we stand for.”
John Lewis has invested £18m in the store, which stocks more than 55,000 products and 1,000 different brands.
Full list of services that will be offered at John Lewis Westgate:
• Bra-fitting service
• Bureau de Change
• Carpet and flooring estimates and fitting
• Children’s car seat fitting
• Children’s shoe fitting service
• Christmas sacks and bauble personalisation
• Computer support and set up
• Eyebrow and nail treatments
• Eye tests and glasses made on site
• Gift List
• Home design service
• Home appliance installation and disposal
• Kuoni Travel service
• Light installation
• Made-to-measure curtains and blinds including fitting
• Nursery advice service
• Personalised stationery
• Personal styling for women
• Personal styling for men
• Smart Home product advice
• Tech training sessions on the latest products
• Three different places to eat and drink