Your browser is no longer supported. For the best experience of this website, please upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We use cookies to personalise your experience; learn more in our Privacy and Cookie Policy. You can opt out of some cookies by adjusting your browser settings; see the cookie policy for details. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies.

Mountain Warehouse to ramp up expansion

Mountain Warehouse plans to open up to 20 stores in the UK this year and ramp up its expansion in North America as it mulls a stock market flotation.

Mountain Warehouse

The outdoor clothing and equipment retailer has 226 stores, of which 191 are in the UK - where it plans to continue growing its network. The chain’s founder, Mark Neale, has said he believes the retailer’s UK store count could reach up to 300.

International expansion is also a focus for the business over the next couple of years, with another 30 stores planned in the US, Canada and Germany.

Overseas revenue currently accounts for 20% of the total, but this is expected to reach 50% as part of a strategy to increase its global market share.

The UK remains the company’s largest market, followed by North America (23 stores), Poland (10), Ireland (three) and Germany (two). It also began selling in China in November, 2015, through Alibaba-owned shopping platform Tmall.

As previously reported, the retailer is considering a stock market float that could value the company at more than £200m. In January, Neale, who owns 85% of the company, hired investment bank Rothschild to advise on fundraising options, which could include an IPO. The remaining 15% is owned by 20 senior managers.

Sales at Mountain Warehouse climbed 28.6% in the six weeks ending January 3, with like-for-like sales up 14.7% during the period.

A roll out of units for Neale’s activewear chain Zakti is also expected to continue, with a third store in Reigate slated for the coming months, adding to two store launches in London in November.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.