Following the announcement this morning (January 7) that Marks & Spencer’s general merchandise boss Steve Rowe is to take the reins from chief executive Marc Bolland when he retires later this year, Drapers gives you a rundown of all you need to know about the CEO elect.
- Rowe joined Marks & Spencer in 1989 on the shop floor and worked his way up into several roles within store management.
- He joined M&S’s head office in 1992 as a menswear merchandiser.
- In 1998 he became a manager in the furniture department.
- Rowe was appointed head of home in 2003 and was promoted to director of home in 2004.
- Between 2004 and 2008 Rowe also assumed responsibility for beauty and new business development.
- In March 2008 Rowe was appointed director of retail and a member of the executive committee and became director of retail and ecommerce in 2009.
- He reverted to director of retail in 2011 before being appointed to the board as executive director of food in October 2012.
- Rowe was named executive director of general merchandise in July 2015.
- In January 2016 Rowe was named as the successor to M&S chief executive Marc Bolland.