Alexander McQueen chief executive Jonathan Akeroyd has said that the label has not begun looking for a successor to the late designer as McQueen’s final collection was shown yesterday at a private showroom in Paris.
When asked about rumors that the Alexander McQueen label, which is owned by French luxury goods group PPR, had already begun looking for a successor for McQueen who died last month, Akeroyd told Reuters: “No, no, no.”
Alexander McQueen’s final collection of 15 outfits, modelled in a Parisian salon yesterday during Paris Fashion Week, was unmistakably McQueen - known by his first name Lee - and featured the digital fantasy prints and lamp shade dresses that made his handwriting so strong.
Regal influences were strong with gold, red and navy shades dominating a collection that was not short on surprises.
Models wore gold caps, some with mohican-style headdresses, giving them a reptilian appearance to show a collection of full-length gowns and coats mini-dresses and capes in thick fabrics folded to created structure, voluminous silhouettes.
Stand-out pieces included a coat made from gilded feathers with a rigid high collar, and a courtier style belted cape in red and gold worn with over-the-knee boots.
Robert Polet, chairman and chief executive officer of Gucci Group, which includes the Alexander McQuuen label and is ultimately owned by PPR told the assembled fashion editors after the show: “It was a very moving experience to take a deep and serious look at his last collection. It showed Lee’s unique talent to create pieces of beauty that touch many of your senses, leaving one enriched. Although the sense of loss afterwards, I found overwhelming.”
McQueen died at his home on February 13. PPR confirmed just days later that the Alexander McQueen brand would “live on” and continue to trade.