Selfridges and Primark owner the Weston family claimed the top fashion spot in The Sunday Times Rich List for 2012.
The Weston family, the Canadian billionaires behind department stores Selfridges and Primark owner Associated British Foods, topped the list of fashion billionaires despite their value dipping by £100m to £5.9bn, placing them 10th in the overall list of the richest people in the country.
Also in the list of fashion’s highest earners are Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay who gained £340m from the Littlewoods mail order business, placing them at 26th overall.
Sports tycoon Mike Ashley’s fortune rose by £482m placing him 36th in the overall Sunday Times Rich List. According to the newspaper, his Sports Direct retail company is worth £1.64bn with Ashley owning a £1.20m stake.
See below for the top ten fashion Sunday Times Rich List 2012.
Top ten fashion rich list
1. Galen and George Weston and family – Selfridges and Primark - £5.90bn
2. Sir Philip and Lady Green – Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, BHS - £3.30bn
3. Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay – Littlewoods - £2.25bn
4. Mike Ashley – Sportsworld, Sportsdirect - £1.75bn
5. Lawrence Stroll – Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, Pepe Jeans - £1.40bn
6. Bernard Lewis and family – River Island - £1.25bn
7. Christina Ong and family – Mulberry - £1.21bn
8. Stephen Rubin and family – JD Sports, Speedo, Berghaus - £1.02bn
9= Richard Caring – International Clothing Designs - £700m
9= Karl-Johan and Thomas Persson – H&M - £700m