Your browser is no longer supported. For the best experience of this website, please upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Sports Direct buys share of Four Marketing

Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct has bought a 25% share in brand agency Four Marketing.

Four Marketing distributes brands including Stone Island, CP Company, Velvet, Barena, Orla Kiely and 7 For All Mankind.

A source said the deal values the company at £35m, but Sports Direct and Four Marketing declined to comment on the figures.

Investment bank Convex Capital advised the shareholders and said they will remain with the business to oversee “further ambitious expansion plans and to manage the rollout of the in-house, multi-brand, national retail concept”.

Four Marketing was founded by Dominique Signoret, Gino Da’Prato, Ben Banks and Charles Perez in 1997.

Chief executive Perez, Da’Prato and Banks retain 75% of the company, and day-to-day operational and financial control.

“Four Marketing look forward to working with [Sports Direct’s] premium lifestyle team and benefiting from their expertise in retail distribution,” said Perez.

“The division has access to a world-class skill set in logistics, product flow and this, together with a wide range of multiple services, provides further tremendous resource to Four Marketing.”

Four Marketing increased turnover by 23% to £25.8m for the year to December 31, 2014, while gross profit grew by 44% to £5.8m. It made a £5.2m profit, up from £225,660 in 2013.

The agency said its sales growth during the period was driven by a combination of new business and strong sell-through from existing brands.

Discounted stock opportunities from suppliers helped to improve margins.

The company also sold and leased back its offices at 20 Garrett Street, in Clerkenwell, London, to provide “substantial liquidity into the business”.

Reaction to the stake sale was mixed.

One menswear independent said: “Sports Direct don’t do anything by halves and with the spending power they’ve got they could potentially blow us independents right out of the water.

“When they bought Cruise, Van Mildert and Flannels, it seemed like the wheels were in motion, but this feels like a bit of a game changer.

“I’ll be watching with interest and definitely some nervousness.”

Another industry insider said: “It doesn’t make much sense to me at the moment because Sports Direct have access to all the brands they would want through Cruise, Van Mildert and Flannels, and it’s not as if they can sell any more Stone Island because it is strictly controlled by Italy.

“It’s the minority stake that I find it hard to work out – unless Four Marketing have welcomed the cash for a risk-free way to roll out their new retail concept.”


Readers' comments (4)

  • Another reputable 'fashion' business sells it's soul - Wonderful news.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • This is better than watching a Netflix Series! I look forward to reading this on going saga. They have just got into bed with their biggest customer when you take in all SD retail shops it makes sense and to be honest what choice do they have.
    Wonder how the Companies they represent will react.
    What will JD Sports do or have they learnt their lessons and sticking to Sportswear retailing only??

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • A strategic move for Sports Direct. But will it result in some brands looking carefully at the change of control clauses in their agreements with Four Marketing?

    Stephen Sidkin
    Chair
    Fashion Law Group
    Fox Williams LLP”

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • Only time will tell but a bet few are very nervous!
    Surely they must have checked out their contracts?
    FM still own 75% but their biggest customer owns the other 25% makes it interesting!!

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.