BHS, Brexit, Missguided and Drapers’ 30 Under 30 rising stars were among the hottest topics you wanted to know about this year.
A varied mix of content made the Drapers 2016 most-read list this year. A most-followed theme was the the state of the fashion industry after some of the extraordinary circumstances that occurred throughout the year. Our annual unveiling of the Drapers 30 Under 30 list was also popular as were news stories and galleries of shop openings, which tells us that although the future is uncertain, we are still looking forward to it and to the next generation of young people who will make a difference. Here is a recap.
1. Missguided set to open a store in Westfield Stratford City 9 April 2016 News
Fast fashion brand Missguided has made a great impact on the womenswear market throughout the past few years. The opening of the online etailer’s first standalone store marked its new roll-out plan.
2. Fashion industry at ‘crisis’ point 5 April 2016 News
In the lead up to a possible Brexit vote, increasing levels of discounting and changing consumer behaviour led to changes in the industry. Here, fashion retailers weigh in.
3. Drapers unveils this year’s 30 Under 30 8 January 2016 Drapers Daily Blog
4. First look: Missguided roars into Westfield Stratford City 23 November 2016 News
5. The 40 BHS stores facing closure 7 March 2016 News
The entire BHS saga was very closely followed by Drapers readers.
6. Careers: Is now the best time ever to be a merchandiser? 11 November 2016 Retail
7. Brexit: Five things you need to know 24 June 2016 News
When Britian voted to leave the European Union in June, it was a result unforeseen by many of the population. Questions were flying within the industry about what to do next. While many are still unanswered, Drapers narrowed down the truths of the matter.
8. Talking Business: ‘Could it be the beginning of the end for BHS?’ 19 March 2016 News
9. Skechers and Stradivarius to open on Oxford Street 21 January 2016 News
Paula nickolds from john lewis
10. Paula Nickolds appointed John Lewis managing director 25 October 2016 News
Nickolds rose up the ranks at John Lewis through the years. All eyes on her to see what she’s up to next as MD.