Marks & Spencer has announced that Steve Rowe, currently executive director of food at the retailer, will replace John Dixon as head of general merchandise. Drapers takes a look at his 26 year career at M&S to date.
- Rowe joined M&S in 1989 where he progressed through a variety of roles within store management.
- He joined the head office in 1992 as a merchandiser for menswear, working across all areas of the group.
- In 1998 he became category manager in the furniture department, leading the team developing the home growth strategy.
- In 2003 Rowe was appointed head of the home categories in M&S and went on to become director of home in 2004.
- From 2004 to 2008 he assumed responsibility for beauty and new business development at M&S.
- In 2008 Rowe was made director of retail.
- In 2009 he was also given responsibility for the online business and became director of retail and ecommerce.
- In 2011 Rowe reverted back to the role of director of retail at M&S.
- In October 2012 Rowe was appointed to the M&S board as executive director of food.