Your browser is no longer supported. For the best experience of this website, please upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Sean John to shutter only standalone

Sean John is to close its only standalone store at the end of the year, amid a reported row with its landlord over falling sales.

The premium lifestyle brand and retailer, owned by Sean Combs, the singer previously known as P Diddy, will shutter its 3,500 sq ft flagship at 475 Fifth Avenue, New York, on December 30. The store opened in 2004 and was originally leased until 2016.

Sean John has been in a legal row with the store’s landlord since December 2009 over scaffolding outside the building, which the brand and retailer claimed has led to a “steady decline in revenues that continues to the present day”.

The brand said in its lawsuit against the landlord that sales at the flagship store have approximately halved since the scaffolding went up.

According to WWD a Sean John spokesman said it was closing the store because of inadequate selling space. It is understood to be looking for new locations in New York and Los Angeles.

Sean John, which encompasses casualwear, tailoring, footwear, accessories and fragrance, turns over $525 million (£335 million) a year and is stocked in over 800 stores across the US.

As revealed by Drapers in an exclusive interview with Combs in September, Sean John is due to launch in key European markets including the UK next year.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.