Drapers visits the Asos show room to get a first look at the autumn 14 men’s collection.
- Silverlake: Carrying on spring 14’s top trend with a vintage American sports theme with oversized tops and collegiate applique appearing on jackets and blazers.
- Future Sports: sport meets street but with a fashion spin inspired by the likes of Kanye West, featuring luxe fabrics, mesh and marble prints on longer line silhouettes.
- Bauhaus: a rich colour palette of claret, deep green and navy worked in colour block panels mixed with op-art prints and dogstooth patterns. Flurry textured knits are key.
- Modernism: updates to wardrobe staples, like suit trousers reimagined as cuffed joggers, blazers merged with padded jackets and classic outerwear shapes oversized.
- Portobello: a wintery outdoors trend with padded coats and cosy coloured knitwear and reimagined checks and plaids.
John Mooney, head of design, Asos menswear
“Customers are changing and are buying less conservatively, so we have to think and design differently. Aspirational styles are key and it has a formal feel but with a casual sensibility. Our skinny silhouette has been relaxed a little bit but it’s made a big difference. Key styles include the jogging style trouser, which had 20 styles for autumn 13 but we’ve got 120 for autumn 14. It started as grey marl jersey and now we’ve gone as far as doing a smart tailored version.”