Your browser is no longer supported. For the best experience of this website, please upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Report this comment to a moderator

Please fill in the form below if you think a comment is unsuitable. Your comments will be sent to our moderator for review.
By submitting your information you agree to our Privacy & Cookie Policy.

Report comment to moderator

Required fields.

Headline

Flannels adds fuel to indies’ Grazia promotion debate

Comment

The world is changing and buyers have to wake up to this. Its no longer the case that they can buy a brand and expect exclusivity in their postcode. The internet changed this many years ago. Grazia working with Flannels and Goggles is a natural move forward. Expect more of this, also expect magazines like Grazia opening up their own online stores, launching their own basics collections and taking % of sales when customers buy from other stores they recommend online. I can't see that their would be so much moaning if they were working with Collection Privee, The Outnet, Brand Alley, Rue LA LA, YOOX, Beyond the Rack or any of the countless others who are already turning over millions in this space. There is a massive issue here with the way large brands clear their excess inventory and the pressure that this then puts on their traditional routes to market. For example: If as a boutique you get 70% sell through on a line you expect to clear the remaining 30% in the sales, when that does not happen its probably because your sale buyers have already had their fix online you loose a good proportion of your revenue. I feel strongly that boutiques should be ducking out of and focussing on what boutique buyers used to do best. Knowing their customer and finding collections which their customers want to buy. So why not voting with your wallets. Got a problem with a brand whose been sold in this way either insist on a sell through guarantee or dump it and find a replacement. It may mean you have to travel a bit further next season to find the right replacement/s, it may mean that you have to take a bigger chance with a lesser known brand but if you know your customers well then none of this should be a big problem for you.

Posted date

19 October 2009

Posted time

10:31 am

required
required
required
required