Your browser is no longer supported. For the best experience of this website, please upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Brands grow wary of My-Wardrobe after spring 15 orders cancelled

Brands have hit out at my-Wardrobe.com after the troubled etailer cancelled all spring 15 orders, with some questioning whether it will be able to regain their trust in the future.

Drapers revealed on Tuesday that My-Wardrobe was “pausing to review all strategic options”, leaving some brands scrambling to replace orders worth thousands of pounds.

The cancellation of all spring 15 orders is the latest crisis for my-Wardrobe. It was rescued from administration in a pre-pack deal in November by a consortium of private investors under the name Growth Capital Acquisitions.

In the past 18 months, the business has seen a series of high-profile departures including co-founders Andrew Curran and his ex-wife Sarah, fashion director Carmen Borgonovo, chief executive David Worby and trading director Joanna Stephenson.

One manager of a womenswear brand told Drapers: “This was a time bomb waiting to happen. I’m not sure if we will stock with them again – it depends on other brands. We would have to tread carefully.”

She added that her brand had already produced its order for My-Wardrobe but was “confident” it would be able to resell it.

The sales manager for an accessories brand said: “It’s a bit of a blow. You do start to lose trust. It’s one of those situations that is out of their control so I’m not taking it personally, [but] it will make me more hesitant [about dealing with them in the future].”

Another womenswear brand’s sales director said she had been forced to cancel her order with the factory. “It is disappointing; every time we place faith in [my-Wardrobe], it happens again. It’s hard to know if we will work with them again… it would depend on who was financially involved.”

The owner of a contemporary brand affected by the cancellation told Drapers she was now left with a five-figure order for which she would have to find new stockists. “The cancellation of an order that size is major for us – to try and sell that stock is going to be difficult. We can’t cancel with the factory as we’d still be liable for fabrics and trims.”

Andrew and Sarah Curran set up my-Wardrobe in 2006.

Readers' comments (1)

  • The problem now is if My Wardrobe are in difficulties will they start discounting A/W 2014 collections early in the season as this would be a disaster for independents that carry the same brands.
    This is something that needs keeping an eye on.

    Helene Rapaport
    Bernard Boutique

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.