Your browser is no longer supported. For the best experience of this website, please upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Monki eyes up flagship and 10 stores in London

Swedish women’s young fashion retailer Monki is on the hunt for a London flagship following its UK debut last week as a concession at Selfridges in London.

Monki chief executive and founder Lars Karlsson said it was eyeing a store in east London but could see shops opening across the capital.

“The priority is to find our own store in London,” he said. “London is a fashion city, we’ll fit in well here. We could have at least 10 stores.”

Karlsson said Monki was using H&M’s operational firepower to help secure stores in the UK.

He believes the retailer, which targets 14 to 20-year-olds and focuses on quirky, cartoon graphics, has little competition and that it has scope to expand beyond London.

Karlsson said: “There’s no reason why we shouldn’t have a store in every major UK city.”

H&M acquired 60% of Monki’s owner Fabric Scandinavien, which also operates casualwear retailer Weekday and denim brand Cheap Monday, in 2008 before snapping up the remaining 40% last year.

Monki has 52 stores throughout Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Germany and Hong Kong, where it opened its first store last year. Weekday is also sold across Scandinavia and Germany.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.