A round up of the best fashion business stories from the weekend’s newspapers.
- The British Retail Consortium is expected to reveal that like-for-like retail sales rose by around 3% in March, reports the Sunday Telegraph. This compares with a fall of 1.2% in March last year. Accountancy firm BDO showed that like-for-like high street sales, which don’t include food sales, increased by 8.1% over the month.
- French Sole, the footwear retailer and wholesaler, is planning to sell a 50% stake to fund expansion in Paris, Hong Kong, Dubai, Sydney and across the UK, the Sunday Times reports. Inflexion, the backer of retailer Jack Wills, and lifestyle brand Fat Face are said to be interested. The retailer is valued at £10m.
- Debenhams is expected to post pre-tax profits of £116m in the six months to February on Tuesday thanks to the success of own-brand ranges such as Principles, designed by Ben de Lisi, the Mail on Sunday reports. There is also growing City speculation that Debenhams is looking to buy Finland’s Stockmann chain of department stores, the Independent on Sunday reports.
- Asda is considering potential acquisitions to close the non-food gap on its rival Tesco according to the Mail on Sunday, The newspaper said the grocer had looked at fast fashion chain New Look and is understood to have previously run a slide rule over value chain Matalan, but sources said the latter had now been ruled out.
- JJB Sports has put its orders for stock on hold after the arrival of new chief executive Keith Jones six weeks ago, the Mail on Sunday reports. A source familiar with the situation said that Jones had taken the decision as he started a review of the buying programme but added that it should not affect orders for the World Cup.
- Selfridges and Oxfam will launch a pop-up charity shop selling clothes worn by stars such as like Alexa Chung and Elle MacPherson next month, The Guardian reports. From May 14 to May 20, Selfridges will play host to the Oxfam Curiosity Shop, staffed by celebrities from Annie Lennox to Zoe Ball.